July 25, 2018
DR-4377-TX NR 011
FEMA News Desk: 512-977-6615
How to Set Up an Online Disaster Assistance Account
AUSTIN, Texas – After you have registered with FEMA to receive assistance, you will need to provide important documents such as an insurance denial, insurance settlement letter, proof of ownership of damaged property and proof that the damaged property was your primary residence at the time of the disaster.
An easy way to do this is by setting up an account and uploading your documents from there. Applicants with online accounts can:
- Check the status of the application and inspection.
- Update personal information, such as current mailing address and phone number
- Securely view messages from FEMA.
- 24/7 FEMA Internet Helpdesk (for online account issues only).
To set up a disaster assistance account:
- Go to https://www.disasterassistance.gov/
- Create an online account with the same email address you provided during registration. A PIN will be sent to the email address on file. You can then log into your account.
- You can now upload your important documents in the Upload Center. (This page takes you to the login if you are returning to add more documents: https://www.disasterassistance.gov/DAC/govBenefitReceiver.do?action=LOGIN&langcode=EN)
You can also submit important documents by faxing them to (800) 827-8112 (be sure to include registration number prominently on the cover page), or by mailing them to:
- FEMA – Individuals & Households Program
National Processing Service Center
P.O. Box 10055
Hyattsville, MD 20782-8055
- Or by visiting a disaster recovery center. (Find a disaster recovery center at https://egateway.fema.gov/ESF6/DRCLocator)
Simply showing the inspector your documents will not suffice. You must submit them to FEMA either by submitting them online, faxing or mailing them, or by visiting a disaster recovery center.
Survivors can register for FEMA assistance through Tuesday, Sept. 4, 2018, online at www.DisasterAssistance.gov, or may call 800-621-3362 or (TTY) 800-462-7585. Those who use 711 Relay or Video Relay Services may call 800-621-3362. The toll-free telephone numbers are open from 7 a.m. to 10 p.m. local time, seven days a week. Survivors may also visit a disaster recovery center to apply for assistance (find a disaster recovery center at https://egateway.fema.gov/ESF6/DRCLocator).
FEMA’s mission is helping people before, during and after a disaster